Friday, January 2, 2009

Race in the Age of Obama

"Is Barack Obama African-American? Is he mixed race? Will having Obama in office change America's perspective on race?

I think I have heard him state he is mixed race and African American. So I am confused as to where his identities lie. I do think it shows that race is no longer the barrier it used to be.
I do think that if you utilize your talents and abilities you will be rewarded. His work in Chicago shows it.
In business, if you act like you are supposed to be a token you will be treated as a token, if you perform in this day and age you will advance. The days of the boys club are dying with big 3.
I am Caucasian and I agree there are a few places I have seen in my 11 years of auditing hundreds of North American Corporations that a pedigree may get your foot in the door but if the guy underneath you shines a heck of a lot brighter than you do, no matter what their color or creed, a GOOD firm will promote that person. The bad firm will lose that person and will eventually slump to mediocrity.

No comments: